Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My poetry problem

 
In my twenties, I had an embarrassing secret.  One day, I chose to share it with a teenaged drifter named Sam, who was crashing that week at a local shelter before lighting out for Seattle.
 
I had been interviewing Sam -- on a purple couch, in the game room upstairs -- for a newspaper story on homeless runaways.  He was an angel-faced boy of seventeen and had been showing me his poetry.  It was handwritten and earnest.  Oh Sam!
 
"Do you like poetry?" he asked.  I paused, considering my secret.
 
"Some kinds," I said vaguely.
 
"Like what?" Sam asked, looking like a cross between James Dean and a puppy.
 
I eyed him levelly.  The hell with it.
 
"I like poems that rhyme," I confessed. 
 
Shock, confusion, and disappointment played across Sam's porcelain features.  "Oh," he managed to say.  "Yeah.  Well . . ."  Probably Sam had to get going.  His life story was being penned by a slack-jawed idiot.  Rhyme!
 
For this faux pas, I blamed one Edgar Allan Poe.  Back home, on the bookshelf next to the medical treatises available to anyone who might want to become a doctor, was an American literature anthology.  Inside, at around age ten, I found the best poem ever written.  It was called The Raven.
 
It was the epitome of good poetry: a brilliant person, showing off.  No one I knew could do anything like it: "The Raven" was so right, it seemed like God had written it.  Yet it was just some syphilitic drunk with a pen in his hand.  This was the magic of a good poem-that-rhymed. 
 
As an English major, I was assigned less Poe, more Gloria Anzaldua: a Chicana poet from Texas who mined the themes of race and identity.  As I was not interested in my own, rather colorful ethnicity (Indo-Hungarian-American), I was hard-pressed to care whether anyone else defined herself as a mestiza in free verse.  It was just not my cup of tea.  (Sorry, Gloria!)   
 
I liked poems that rhymed. 
 
Last year, I got on a kick and wrote a lot of poems.  They came to me while I was driving to work or doing the dishes -- in rhyme schemes that were nothing fancy (couplets, etc), but got the job done.  A handful of these seemed kind of good, or clever anyway.  Maybe I should read them somewhere? 
 
A local group hosts poetry readings twice a month, on Thursday nights.  By 8 p.m. Thursday, my kids are at their dad's, so theoretically I could attend.  In reality, I'm exhausted by the time they leave.  If Poe himself were at the Open Mic, there is a 50 percent chance I would stay home, take a hot bath, and watch Maroon 5 videos in my kitchen.
 
The other thing is that -- unlike other people? -- I like poems that rhyme.  When I envision standing up to speak, the first words I say into the microphone, facing a roomful of strangers, are: 
 
"Er, this a rhyming poem. Sorry." 
 
[Eye rolls, snorts of derision.  Hey, you in the back -- is that -- Sam?]
 
That, in short, is my poetry problem.  To which the answer is:  Go anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment